Friday 8 January 2010

Stitched Diary

Over the past few years I have accumulated quite a lot of found fabric pieces, such as napkins, samplers, pillow covers and table cloths, and I have been pondering over different ways of incorporating them into my own work. I have also been thinking about different quotes and phrases that I come across in my daily life and how these could work, as I love hand stitched text. Especially when a persons handwriting is produced in stitch.
Combining these two different aspects I have started a stitched diary, it will consist of a hand stitched quote piece per week. Each quote/ phrase is part of my diary for that week kind of like a summed up version of my week. Because each piece will only be a few words, it will not give the full picture and will still keep it partially private.
I think this is a great way of bringing some structure into my work, giving my a chance to experiment with different embroidery techniques such as cross stitch but still having a running theme, making each piece more relevant then just a simple test experiment. Also only having a week to produce each piece is setting myself a deadline each week, this I think is what I need as I have a tendency to start a variety of projects but not always finishing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment